Work for June Reviews

This semester’s work has been concerned with personal survival and the most extreme expression of purpose as yet developed within the program: namely, using my art to help process anxieties for self-sustenance and hopefully derive insight into my life.  This is consistent with previous efforts and in response to the most critical question posed by the institution to my practice and identity as an illustrator: who was my art for, and what would it be if only for myself?  I am more concerned with process than artifice, adopting techniques both new and familiar as needed.  As such, the outcomes are rarely known ahead of time and work is produced through intuition, self-reflection and interactions with others real and imagined in as self-aware way as possible.  The effort is singularly consistent and critically important, while individual efforts can been seen as brush strokes or color choice towards the whole image.

Each project addressed in individual pages:

1. Cowonaverse – Ongoing project using primarily home gardening to process anxiety around the Covid-19 pandemic and to help manage interpersonal relationships.
  2. Drones – Character design through sculpture to ruminate on eventualities and concerns about the future.
  3. Petram – Interactive digital piece in response to work by Chantel Gushue to address solitude and longing for cohorts and community within the academic program.
  4. Esperanto and The End – Musical works made as ongoing journaling of nonverbal expression.
  5. Bounce – Small scale game design making use of primarily mechanics to describe depression.
  6. Illustration – Professional practice as personal practice.