Profile: Eleanor Ramsay

Eleanor is a graduate of MassArt, MSAE 2002, and is the web developer for this department website and other college-wide educational technology projects.

Hometown:  Baltimore, MD
Now Live in:  Somerville, outside Davis Square
Favorite color:  Purple
Favorite medium:  Collage, mixed media, and photography
Favorite place:  Anywhere with a beautiful vista. Something about a “long view” always lifts my spirits.
Favorite animal: Cats, big and small.
First pet:  Probably one of the many baby birds my grandfather raised.
Interests besides art:  Technology, music, gardening, cooking.
Reason I got into art education: I was drawn to education while achieving success as both a magazine art director and businesswoman who mentored and trained colleagues in technology in the arts. I felt I could offer real world advice and encouragement to students and young artists.
Artistic influences:  I was lucky, I spent a lot of time in museums as a kid. Early influences would have to be the Impressionists, whose paintings I loved and could get lost in. Also, Christo, whose work I was exposed to at a young (impressionable) age. Art didn’t have to be something hanging on a wall! Once I was in high school and discovered the work of Duchamp and the Dadaists, I knew I wanted to be an artist too.
Favorite thing to do to relax:  Sit by the fire, listen to music, play cards, sketch.
Looking forward to: That first real snowfall that closes school. Some things never get old.
Dream plans: Someday I’d like to own a little hideaway with a long view.
Website: elramsay.com