Artist-Educator / Babysitter

Alex Rogers Pittman is seeking an Art Education student or graduate to be an artist-educator / babysitter:

“I’m looking for an artist-educator/babysitter to provide my 7-year-old son with individualized art-making activities one or two days per week.  I’m envisioning hiring a college student or recent graduate, although other applicants are welcome.

My goal is to provide my son with a mentor who can help him refine and pursue his own artistic visions. The artist-educator will work with him to design art-making activities that respond to his personal interests.  This will include engaging him in viewing art in books, on the Internet or in person through trips to the MFA or other locations. Note that I’m looking for an art experience focused on more on process than mastery of technique.

This person will:

Pick up my son from his school at 3:30. The school is located near the Stony Brook T station in Jamaica Plain.

Bring him to our home, which is a short walk from the school. I will be at home, working.

Engage him in art activities until 5:00.

Document his work with digital photos, help him evaluate his own work and observe his artistic growth.

Qualifications:

Working artist who can model a personal practice

Experience working with kids (babysitting, teaching, mentoring, sports coaching, etc.)

Punctuality

Compensation: $25/session (3:30 – 5:00) plus a $100 supply budget. (The use of recycled materials is strongly encouraged!)

Time Commitment: Ideally sessions will start the week of Sept 23 or 30 and run through the week of Dec 9, but I’m flexible. We’ll start with one day a week, with the possibility of going to two days a week. The artist-educator may choose the day of the week—Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays work for us.

How to apply: Email alex.rogers.pittman@gmail.com by September 14 with a brief statement about yourself, including a description of your own practice and your past experience working with kids. Also include your resume and a few examples of your artwork as attachments or links. If available, also include examples of work that children created under your guidance. Finally, please let me know who told you about this opportunity.