9

QUESTIONS FOR THE COVID-19 ERA

During the coming weeks, as we work through current challenges and begin to meet with Dean Bliss and the administration regarding Summer 2020 plans, we would like to hear your questions and concerns about your final spring semester and summer thesis residency. We know that the pressing question on most people’s minds is whether we (and the 2020 BLR Thesis Exhibition) will be on campus this summer, and we are eager to have answers for you. In the meantime, we’d like to hear about other specific concerns and considerations that are coming up for each of you, as you look toward completing your degrees within this new academic environment. Your direct input will be invaluable as the college begins to make specific arrangements for the summer, so we’d like to use this space to open a discussion.

Please use the comments section below to post your questions and concerns, and we will begin compiling these so that we can bring them to the attention of Dean Bliss and the Office of Academic Affairs. We look forward to having your voices as part of this ongoing discussion.

ramorrison

9 Comments

1. Hi
    Hope everyone is well!
    My question is will our summer session be online? Including Thesis show? At what date do you need to make decisions……..probably soon

2. I would be extremely upset if we could not experience our residency on campus in Boston. I also understand that it may be necessary to continue our program at a distance…I guess I would like to share with decision makers that I desperately want to be on campus this summer unless the situation in June absolutely demands distance.

3. Wonder when this question was going to arise and what your ideas have been so far. I work in dentistry and man we are good at infection control. With that said, I really don’t see summer on campus happening. Is the plan to wait until May 4th and see what the Governor says to the state? Also, if it happens, I personally may have to take a leave of absence to see our business back on it’s feet. What I thought may be proposed by the College is that we complete our academic requirements and present the thesis in January. But be prepared folks for this just to be the first wave, and I am not a doomsday type of person. Yes we might be squashing the first original curve but until the vaccine comes out there is no safety for anyone unless you have already had it. It’s surreal and right now a lot of people have a sense of security but it’s false. I really believe it is too soon to make a decision and it’s also getting late. I did understand that Massart is not having any summer ceu so to me that says the decision is already made.

4. Although I want to come this summer I understand if we can not, what I really want/need and what I am sure we all want is the answer as to if this will happen or not. Im sure I speak for everyone when I say we just want to know what the plan for the summer is. Cause in my case I am trying to make a bedroom and if I can’t vitalize the school and if everything is still closed by then, I don’t know if I could find a space to place my work for the full experience of my thesis exhibition. I think what needs to happen from here is really open dialog with you guys and us the cohort as to the yes or no for us being on Camus this summer, and what is expected of our exhibitions as it relates to our visions during our January reviews and any other plans made since then. Not to sound negative but I don’t think Ill be able to execute what I want if this keeps up, so hopefully will all have answers sooner rather than later.

5. I am disappointed that this summer most likely will not happen on campus but will somehow be online. If it is on campus, I will have to make a difficult decision given my compromised immune system. I don’t want to wait another year, but it is an issue of life or death. What is the process for taking a leave of absence? How long may it be? Who do I ask about these questions? I will email this to Rebecca.

6. First off, I want to say thank you for the opportunity to post our concerns in this space and to hear one another. I deeply want to have our experience be in person/on campus this summer together and honestly feel that the January option is a viable possibility if it cannot happen this summer. There are So many unknowns. I truly do not expect an answer now. Letting go of control and doing the best we can under the circumstances is something all are learning here. I am feeling supported from the communication of the Grad office and Mass Art and happy that housing and parking can be provided for those in health care in the area at this time.

7. I did not consider this until reading these comments – I have applied for dozens of professor jobs starting this fall that require an MFA…I’m certain I’m not the only one. It is absolutely essential to allow us to complete our degrees this summer semester whether it is in-person or online. (Perhaps we have the opportunity to show our work in Boston in the winter or spring semester, but not as a graduation requirement.)

• J I agree, I am counting on graduation in August, one way or the other. So close…….

8. I recognize and appreciate the wide range of concerns and considerations everyone has raised, this is so complicated and different for everyone, sigh. I would really like to continue forward as I feel like I have momentum and that the Benchmark class is leading us to a nice culmination – I would hate to put all of our progress on hold. However, I think I am sort of resigned to a large portion of things being on-line this summer. This would never be my optimum choice but I am just being realistic. That said, I do have real questions about thesis presentation and defense – can that be in person possibly? I also wonder if MassArt would consider making a commitment to us to do a thesis show later in the year?
    Logistically, I have questions and concerns about printing large images. Would the school consider letting people in in a measured way for that. I am happy to be temperature tested, wear gloves and a mask, whatever it takes. Many thanks for all your work in the grad office – I know you guys are grinding away trying to figure everything out, it is appreciated! Wishing everyone the best.