Ed Anthony

Hotsprings

There was something happening that Summer
Drawing the youth
Like flies

to the rotting carcase of American Culture

Like a strange
vibration
I felt it too
And one morning it came to me Like a spectre

in a dream

Then abruptly
A manifestation
Two strangers,
a couple
Standing watching
dripping, unflinchingly naked

Him;
Fishing hat John Lennon glasses Over short curly brown hair Beard all over

Her;
Wide eyes straight brown hair Velvet breasts soft curving navel Long legs framing a tuft of hair

Do you mind if we share?

The tepid bath tub sized pool of cloudy lithium saturated water is Only waist deep and
Although the tree-line will Greedily block the sun from Warming this valley for

Another hour

We instinctively shuffle
Making the flooded travertine outcrop accommodate four strangers

We felt it elsewhere also That strange vibration

~

My works seek to explore memory, exploration, and danger; to guide the reader through a memory or an experience, like being led through a foreign place by a trusted voice. Often I draw on memories of travel, and childhood mischief that evoke a sense of trespass or danger, because I want the reader to understand a series of events as only an insider could. As with any great adventure one has to venture far outside of their comfort zone and this element of danger and exploration is an emotion I want the reader to share in many of my poems. There is an intimacy in my writing, as the memories I chose to share are often shared ones. Reoccurring themes in my work are; Danger, Night, Nakedness, the Forest, Vibrations, Memory. My goal for my works is largely to record some of my more exciting memories in a way that is more than simply telling a story, I want readers to see themselves walking in my footsteps.