9

THESIS 2020 UPDATES: LINKS and PROPOSED DEADLINES

Revised 2020 Thesis Timeline

Exhibition Dates

Online Exhibition: August 28 – September 28, 2020

(The exhibition would go live on the 27th for review/troubleshooting but will open to the public on the 28th)

Reviews and Thesis Talks

• Thursday August 13 – Sunday August 16  Thesis Talks  & Reviews (Public Live Stream)

Images and other asset due dates

• Friday May 29  Documentation Survey form due
  • Friday, July 17  Deadline to commit to participate in the Kunstmatrix curated group exhibition.
  • Monday, July 20  Promotional Survey form due (headshot, bio, artist statement, 3 images for initial promotion — please follow the image sizing guidelines in the form)
  • Monday, August 3 Submit final images for website & Virtual Exhibition (via Google drive)

Overview of 2020 Virtual Thesis Exhibition Planning and Promotion

___________________________________________________________________________

2021 Optional On-Campus Exhibition Tentative Dates

• INSTALL: June 28 – July 1
  • EXHIBITION RUN: July 2 – 15
  • DE-INSTALL: July 16 – 18

ramorrison

9 Comments

1. Hi Rebecca
    Thank you for putting all of this together.
    My big important question is when do we actually graduate, diploma in hand? I am an elementary public school teacher and have committed to completing my masters by middle August. I need a complete transcript and diploma recorded at my school by September 1st. My school system has a dead line for me to get a pay bump. This is important to me after working hard for two years. Can this happen with the extended timeline?
    Thank you
    Maureen Riley

2. Hi Maureen! Degree conferral will happen according to a standard summer schedule, so students who successfully complete their summer 2020 courses and thesis defense will graduate in August. And yes, the reason we cannot push deadlines further back, beyond what we’ve laid out here, is exactly that: because the thesis exhibition is part of your final assessment, we need it to be up by the end of the standard semester. We do, however, have the opportunity to allow the virtual exhibition to run all the way through the end of August, since there is no physical de-installation to contend with this year. Please let us know if you have further questions.

3. Hi Rebecca! I know it was mentioned that sculpture may be more difficult to render in virtual space than flat work, and I am wondering if it requires more photography? I am working to finish the thesis sculpture early to leave adequate time to receive help from MassArt to document. Originally I was going to present 7 figure sculptures with their shields. Is it realistic for me to expect MassArt to have the time to be able to help me document that amount of work well enough to present in the virtual space? With the space and skill I have I could probably produce a singular professional quality image of each work, but since I am not at all familiar with what is required to make a digital rendering of sculpture in the online gallery, I have asked for the most help. I am hoping it’s not a burden, and wondering if I need to consider showing less work for this reason. on the overall, I am so excited to share the work, and thrilled at these innovative solutions the team has come up with.
    Also thrilled to know we can gain our credentials on time, because who has time not to! Thanks for your consideration… Christine

• I see the billboard option may not be as complicated to share sculpture

• Hi Christine. Yes, as you learned in your own research of the platform, Kunstmatrix allows for two different approaches to displaying 3D artwork: 1.) a “true” 3D object, and 2.) what the platform terms a “billboard,” which is essentially the illusion of a 3D object made by combining still images from a few different angles.

The “Billboard” option still has some work involved, but it is certainly less of a heavy lift technologically than creating a fully-rendered 3D object file. The billboard may be a better option for you, considering the scale, number, and complexity of your sculptures.

For people looking to place 3D objects into the exhibition in general, the following information may be useful: we are currently using photogrammetry to render full 3D objects for the spring thesis show. It’s possible that for the summer thesis, we will also be using a 3D scanning technology. Documentation for “billboards” involves shooting the work from multiple angles, ideally on a green screen. We will work with faculty and other tech assistants this summer to determine the best option for each student. And what’s great is that in a couple of weeks, we’ll be able to show you a few examples of these different approaches once our spring show is live.

Please also bear in mind that the virtual space is just one facet of exhibiting your work in an online environment. We will also have a website that includes comprehensive “straight” photo (and, for some, video) documentation of your work, along with artist statements, brief bios, and links to your websites and/or social media. I think that this way of sharing/viewing work might feel ideal for some, while others may be really excited by the possibilities of an actual virtual gallery that can be navigated.

Regardless, the entire team will work to support students in documenting and sharing work in the way that best suits your particular thesis. Looking forward to working with you on this!

• Thank you Rebecca for this detail answer to Christine’s questions! My work is both sculpture and installation. I filled out my survey twice, because of the “best fit” answers could be both. However, hearing your description of shooting multiple views and ideally using a green screen, I may need to opt for more assistance then I think. Not sure what advise you, Sharon, Antonio may have for me, but I am appreciative with any help to make the exhibit successful and not come off as a cold digital/virtual video game type of feeling. I am extremely apprehensive with the virtual exhibit… very nervous about how my work will be perceived… Thank you for all you and the entire Grad Team are doing! I realize this is a tremendous amount of work! Looking forward to solutions!

• Hi Rebecca! I am going to begin taking photographs of the work myself as it’s being completed to see the best results I can get on my own towards this endeavor. Suggestions for angles or anything else is welcome! Thank you so much for your help!

4. That yo so much for these dates and everything else! My one question is would we have a intro review to the summer or is that not happening because of the changes made with the quarantine?

• Hi Vinnie. Yes, you will have reviews at the beginning of your residency this summer, as usual. Sharon and/or the grad office will be in touch with further information regarding scheduling specifics and details about the platform/format that we will use this year. Looking forward to seeing your work there!