The Democratic Forest at David Zwirner Gallery

The Democratic Forest

William Eggleston
David Zwirner Gallery, NYC
Oct 27 – Dec 17
william-1
William Eggleston’s current exhibition “The Democratic Forest” consists of travel pictures of various American cities in 1980s. He is a famous American photographer, who born in 1939. love the color of his photographs a lot. It’s exciting to look his works in this exhibition. I am surprised the scale of these printings are large. Most of them are 44×60 inches, all of them are beautifully printed.
william2
There are two photographs in particular that attracted my attention. In the first picture light beautifully goes through white curtains and the shadow of light is cast on a table. The reflection of light on the table creates the pattern of the curtain. The light reflected in a vase makes it look like an oil painting. The second photograph that caught my attention also did so because of its beauty. In it, the bright red color of a tomato contrasts with the deep blue of washing sink.
william3
My favorite photograph in the exhibition though is the last one shown below. This reproduction does not do it justice because so much of the meaning and experience of the photograph is in the subtle colors. The color and tone in this picture feel soft and warm. I love the pink, yellow and blue shown in this picture. And the two trash cans are symmetrically placed. Like all exhibitions, this is one that needs to be seen in person. Eggleston’s prints are really worth taking a close look.
By Yuchan Hu