Fashion Design Studio Safety Guidelines
- There is no food allowed in the studios. Please feel free to use the designated 6th floor lounge space to take a break.
- Studio equipment may not be moved within or removed from studio space.
- Any use of tobacco, alcohol, and illegal substance are strictly prohibited. Any student breaking this rule will lose access to the studio space.
- Please do not store work and supplies within classrooms unless directed by Studio Manager. Storage of supplies on air vents is strictly prohibited. If there are supplies in non-designated areas the studio manager has a right to discard supplies
- Studio hours will be posted each semester according to monitor coverage. Please respect the studio monitors and the instructions they give.
- Use of spray fixatives, fabric dyes, industrial glues, and spray paints are strictly prohibited on the 6th Any spraying can be done on the 10th floor in the spray booth with permission from Industrial Design and Architecture Studio Manager.
- Studio Manager hours are posted each week on the office door as well as the email address.
- Do NOT put food or drinks in the small trash cans by the machines, these are only for fabric/threads
- Do NOT put fabric in the recycling bin, fabric is NOT recyclable
- Each student is required to clean up his/her area, failure to remove one’s items at instructed times can result in work being thrown out and loss of studio space
- Every new Fashion Design student is required to participate in a mandatory machine orientation with Studio Manager in order to use the equipment. This lesson will be offered within the class as well as a one on one appointment with the Studio Manager.
- All industrial machines within the Fashion Department are for Fashion majors use only.
- Please report any non-departmental use to the Studio Manager ASAP. This is a serious safety issue.
- All machines must be in the off mode when changing and threading the needle.
- All machine guards must be down when using the machines.
- Keep hands away from needle and blade areas when machine is in operation.
- Please notify the Studio manager when a machine is broken.
- Do not try to fix it yourself. If the studio manager is not present, put a note on the machine & send an email to the Studio Manager.
- Please follow posted instructions for irons when using.
- A first Aid kit will be located at the locker at the end of the hall on the 6th If a serious burn occurs, please go to Public Safety to seek additional medical help.
- All students should use common sense and good judgment when using machinery. Students should not use machinery when tired. Monitor coverage is limited during 24 hour access; please seek help from Public Safety for any emergencies. Studio access may be denied at any time to students working in an irresponsible manner.
Supply Price List 2016-2017
- SEWING KIT -$28 (Sophomores)
- SPOOL OF THREAD (2-white/black)
- SEWING GAUGE
- SEAM RIPPER
- HAND SEWING NEEDLES
- STRAIGHT PINS
- TAPE MEASURE
- TRACING WHEEL
- TRACING PAPER
- TAILORS CHALK
- PAPER SCISSORS
- SEWING SNAPS
3 RULER KIT -$20 (Sophomores)
- Plastic French
- Metal Hip
- Plastic Straight
MACHINE KIT -$15 (All)
- INDUSTRIAL BOBBIN CASE
- 2 INDUSTRIAL MACHINE BOBBINS
- SCREWDRIVER KIT
- BEADING KIT- $15 (Juniors)
- ASSORTED BEADS, NEEDLES, FLOSS, EMBROIDERY HOOP, BEESWAX, SEQUINS & MORE
- Muslin pack (10 yards) $15
- Boning-SPIRAL $1.50/yard
- HOOP BONING-6yd/$10
- Fusible/non-fusible interfacing $3/yard
- Horsehair interfacing $10/yard
- Twill tape-all sizes-black or white .50/yard
- Bias ribbon .50/yard
- ½” Bias Tape .50/yard
- Cording filler $1/yard
- Elastic for Lingerie or SWIM .70/yard
- Bridal Loops $.50/yard
A LA CARTE:
- Plastic French $4
- Metal Hip Ruler $10
- Plastic Straight $6
- Industrial bobbin $3
- Industrial bobbin case $5
- Industrial Needle pack $3
- Screw driver set $3
- Home Bobbin .50/2
- Snaps 12/pack $4
- 5/8” and ½” available
- Tailoring book $10