God Created the Sea and Painted It Blue So We’d Feel Good on It by Michelle Ray

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Basswood box (20 x 14 x 11 cm.) is attached to linen hardcover with embossed title and printed endsheet. Inside box are two compartments. One contains a tunnel of cut-out illustrations and the second compartment holds a smaller cardboard box (18 x 10 x 3 cm.) with title printed above tab enclosure, which contains 11 booklets (18 cm.), and 1 folded leaf (53 x 35 cm.). Images and text created with photopolymer plates, using Trajan and Optima typefaces on handmade cotton/abaca, French Construction and Neenah Environment papers. Linen and basswood enclosure. 7″ x 5.5″ x 4.25″ — [Artist’s website].

“While residing in the Deep South, I undertook a most wondrous adventure wherein I built a boat made entirely of cardboard and set about on an imaginary journey in the linoleum headwaters of my apartment. It started as cathartic play, it became this edition. — I first learned to use a map while sailing. Finding myself in a space with no landmarks, I had to trust my life to those unwieldy sheets of paper with their complex representations of the ever-changing seascape. In reference to the sea, this edition’s text states, “There are no markers in this monochromatic parking lot.” In the absence of these markers, we become painfully aware of their significance. — This work is about experience, perception, memory and the space in between composed of symbol, sound and object. This is the space of mediation, the space where significant things happen; it is the ocean on which my imaginary crew and I sailed, the place for which there are no maps. — Written, designed and printed by Michelle Ray at The Small Craft Advisory Press, Florida State University as an MFA creative project for The University of Alabama’s Book Arts Department.” — [Artist’s website]

“this object’s title is derived from a Bernard Moitessier quote.”–[Below imprint, inside cardboard box enclosure].

Link to Library Catalog