Job Title: Art Educator for ‘Looking to Learn’ program in the Bakalar & Paine Galleries at Massachusetts College of Art and Design
Massachusetts College of Art and Design is home to the largest free contemporary art space in New England. The David and Sandra Bakalar Gallery and the Stephen D. Paine Gallery showcase dynamic and thought-provoking contemporary exhibitions by emerging to established artists.
‘Looking to Learn’ in the Bakalar & Paine Galleries is a visual learning program for Metro Boston Area public and private school students enrolled in 4th through 12th grades. This program uses contemporary art as a gateway to imagination, creative skill-building, and personal understanding in a two-visit learning format, the first visit being a classroom orientation and the second, a visit to the Galleries focusing on close looking, learning and art-making.
More information is available at www.massart.edu/lookingtolearn.
The ‘Looking to Learn’ educator works part time as a member of the Gallery Education team in planning and implementing this program. This is a part time, paid position, 25 hours/week from September 2015 – December 2015. Contract is renewable for January 2016-March 2016.
Planning sessions begin in August 2015.
REPORTS TO: Curator of Education
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and implement Looking to Learn curriculum under the direction of the Curator of Education and in collaboration with the Gallery Education staff
- Teach Looking to Learn curriculum in school classrooms and in the Bakalar & Paine Galleries
- Initiate and maintain communication with participating schools and act as a liaison between the schools and the Galleries
- Ensure maximum participation from area schools
- Organize and transport teaching supplies/materials to the school classroom as well as in the Bakalar & Paine Galleries
- Coordinate and book bus trips between participating schools and the Galleries
- Set up and clean up for all classroom and Gallery teaching
- Prepare and coordinate program evaluation
- Be able to work with a flexible schedule and to travel independently to participating schools
- Be able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs
- Other duties as assigned
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelors level degree and/or ongoing study in art education, museum and community education studies or related field
- Experience in curriculum design and implementation
- Direct teaching experience with youth (4th-12th grades)
- Knowledge of studio art-making processes
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively on program planning and teaching
- Proficiency in internet research and Microsoft Office
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexible work schedule
- Previous experience in museums and/or cultural organizations
- Demonstrated high standards in classroom and/or museum education practice
- Demonstrated ability to creatively interpret contemporary art for a broad range of learners
- Experience working with underrepresented communities
Position is open until filled
Only selected candidates will be contacted for interviews
For more information on the Galleries, visit http://www.massart.edu/Galleries/BakalarandPaine.html
To apply send a cover letter and résumé to Curator of Education, Mesma Belsare, at firstname.lastname@example.org