Profile: Rose Grushkin

Rose Grushkin is a senior in Art Teacher Education.  She plans on graduating in the Fall of 2013.

Hometown:  I was born and raised in Brockton, Massachusetts.
Now live in:  Still living in Brockton, commuting every day to Massachusetts College of Art & Design.
Favorite color:  I would have to say my favorite color is gray. I am fascinated by hues and values that it has to offer.
Favorite medium:  My favorite medium is to work in is clay. I love to spin on the wheel and get lost in the moment.
Favorite place:  So far my favorite place would have to be New Hampshire because it has been the place where I have had the best memories.
Favorite animal: My cat, Bugga.
First pet: My first pet was a fat orange cat name Max; my family and I would call him Maxipad.
Interests besides art:  One of my interests that I have is vehicles. Going through junk yards is a wonderland for me. I also like collecting and finding old useless stuff that feels as if it isn’t done yet.
Reason I got into art education:  The honest reason I got into art education is I never wanted to leave the art classroom. I felt as if I always belonged, and art was just my thing. I remember helping my fellow students in my art classes; I always knew I wanted to be an art teacher.
Artistic influences:  I have had the chance to have many artistic teachers that have influenced  me over my education, but the one who started it all for me was Sarah Richards. I was lucky enough to have her in elementary and in high school. (Ms. Richards, thank you!)   [Editor’s note: Sarah Richards is an Art Education alumna.]
Favorite thing to do to relax: One of my favorite things to do is spending time with my family. Also, I like to read for pleasure, as a way to escape to another place and time.
Looking forward to: I am looking forward to being the first woman in my family to graduate from college. I am looking forward to becoming a teacher.
Dream plans:   (My dream plan is to finally own a mac lap top. Ha-ha-ha.)  Seriously, my dream plans are to become a teacher who inspires youth to move forward in their education and to one day own a house that is big enough for my family.